Note that the cottage is behind Innerleithen High Street and reached via Hall Street.
Full directions for visitors coming by car are further down this page.
The door to door journey planner is a useful resource and identifying wheelchair friendly routes and those where assistance is available. You can also get up to date road traffic reports from Frixo . You can download this as an app onto your phone and information about delays etc is frequently updated.
Glasgow and Edinburgh airports both have shuttle buses into their respective city centres. Get off at Queen Street Station in Glasgow or Waverley in Edinburgh. From Glasgow you need to catch a train to Edinburgh Waverley. Instructions from Waverley can be seen under “Public Transport” below.
If you are hiring a car from the airport, let us know and we will send you directions. The journey from Edinburgh airport by car is just over 1 hour, and from Glasgow 1 hour 50 minutes.
Parking and Bikes
One car can be parked outside Cosaig. Please park any additional vehicles in the nearby car park (about 50 yards away).
Please take bikes to lockable shed, accessible via the High Street entrance (see walking directions below).
Edinburgh is easily accessible by train/coach. From there, bus services run half hourly throughout the day. If you have difficulty using public transport, please ask and we may well be able to collect you from the station or airport.
Innerleithen is on the number 62 bus route and buses stop on the North Bridge in Edinburgh and at Stirling Street bus station in Galashiels.
The nearest bus stop to Cosaig when coming from Galashiels direction is outside the Post Office, and from Peebles direction outside the Union Club. It is a 2 minute walk from the bus stops to Cosaig.
Walking to Cosaig
From the bus stop you will see the “Saffron”. Take the alleyway to the right of the restaurant (through a wooden gate). The shed is on the left just before the path bends to the right. Cosaig is the first cottage on the left after the bend.
Travelling by Car
Below are instructions if you are travelling by car from Galashiels, Edinburgh, Moffat and Glasgow – which pretty much covers all angles!
From Galashiels (25 mins – recommended route from South in bad weather):
1. Head northwest on Glendinning Terrace toward A7 (1/3rd mile)
2. Turn left onto A7 (50 yards)
3. Turn right onto Plumtreehall Brae (1/5th mile)
4. Turn right onto A72
Go through 1 roundabout (3.7 miles)
5. At The Nest Roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Cliff Rd/A72
Continue to follow A72 through Walkerburn (7.5 miles)
6. At the far end of Innerleithen High Street, turn right (after Caldwell’s ice cream shop) onto Hall St (100 yards)
7. Turn right at public toilets
Cosaig is on the right (30 yards)
From Edinburgh North Bridge (just under an hour):
1. Take the 1st left onto N Bridge/A7
Continue to follow A7 (1.1 miles)
2. Continue onto Newington Rd/A701
Continue to follow A701
Go through 1 roundabout (3.8 miles)
3. Keep left at the fork
Continue to follow A701
Go through 2 roundabouts (2 miles)
4. Turn left to stay on A701
Go through 1 roundabout (3.2 miles)
5. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit and stay on A701 (0.2 miles)
6. Turn left to stay on A701 (3 miles)
7. Continue onto Peebles Rd/A703
Continue to follow A703 (9.8 miles)
8. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Innerleithen Rd/A72
Continue to follow A72 (6.1 miles).
9. Pass Innerleithen Co-op on your right then turn left onto Hall St (100 yards)
10. Turn right at public toilets. Cosaig is on your right (30 yards)
From Moffat (about 1 hour – pretty route, but very winding road and free roaming sheep!):
1. Head west on Buccleuch Pl toward Hartfell Crescent (50 yards)
2. Slight left onto Hartfell Crescent (30 yards)
3. Turn left onto Old Well Rd (15 yards)
4. Take the 1st right onto Dundanion Rd (0.1 miles)
5. Turn right onto Eastgate (150 yards)
6. Turn left onto Academy Rd/A701
Continue to follow A701 (40 yards
7. Take the 1st left onto High St/A701
Continue to follow A701 (0.2 miles)
8. Continue onto Holm St/A708
Continue to follow A708
Go through 2 roundabouts (21.3 miles)
9. Turn left toward B709 (3.6 miles)
10. Continue straight onto B709 (4.2 miles)
11. Turn left toward Traquair Rd/B709 (0.4 miles)
12. Continue straight onto Traquair Rd/B709 (0.3 miles). Pass the Traquair Arms on your right.
13. Continue over the cross roads onto Hall St (100 yards)
14. Turn right at public toilets. Cosaig is on your right
From Glasgow City Centre (1 hour 45 mins)
1. Head west on Killermont St toward W Nile St (150 yards)
2. Turn right onto W Nile St (50 yards)
3. Continue straight onto Port Dundas Rd (0.2 miles)
4. Turn right onto Milton St (0.2 miles)
5. Take the 2nd left onto Dobbie’s Loan/A804 (100 yards)
6. Slight right to stay on Dobbie’s Loan/A804 (40 yards)
7. Continue onto Craighall Rd/A879 (60 yards)
8. Turn right to merge onto M8 toward Edinburgh/Stirling/M80/Carlisle/M74 (7.3 miles)
9. Continue onto Glasgow and Edinburgh Rd/A8 (5.9 miles)
10. At junction 6, take the A73 exit to Airdrie/Wishaw/Lanark (0.2 miles)
11. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Bellside Rd/A73
Continue to follow A73
Go through 3 roundabouts (3.9 miles)
12. Turn left onto Westwood Rd/A73
Continue to follow A73
Go through 3 roundabouts (4.2 miles)
13. Turn left onto Glamis Ave/A721 (0.2 miles)
14. At the roundabout, take the 3rd exit onto Chapel St/A721 (0.2 miles)
15. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto A721
Go through 1 roundabout (6.3 miles)
16. Continue onto Main St/A70 (2.8 miles)
17. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Caldwell Terrace/A721
Continue to follow A721 (4.5 miles)
18. Turn right to stay on A721 (3.2 miles)
19. Turn right onto Edinburgh Rd/A702 (40 yards)
20. Take the 1st left onto Roman Rd/A721 (2.2 miles)
21. Turn left onto A72 (0.6 miles)
22. Keep right at the fork (90 yards)
23. Turn right to stay on A72 (9.7 miles)
24. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit and stay on A72
Go through 1 roundabout (6.4 miles)
25. Pass Innerleithen Co-op on your right then turn left onto Hall St (100 yards)
26. Turn right at public toilets. Cosaig is on your right (30 yards)